Tuesday 9 February 2010

Bowling practice



As you can see, today I was back in the garden bowling, this time with a camera running. It's the first time I've ever seen myself bowl, and it's quite revealing. I always new I had a low arm, but I never knew it was THAT low...

Putting the low arm to one side though the action seems pretty good for a beginner like myself, at least it is when I get it all together in a single delivery. Two parts of my action seem to be crucial: steering with my left shoulder and a good follow-through. I know that's pretty elementary but infuriatingly I keep having to remind myself to do both fairly often.

I honestly have no idea how much I was managing to spin the ball; as I've said before the grass in the garden is too thick to get any actual turn. I'm not sure if this is good or bad - good in the sense that I can concentrate on timing my release properly without being distracted by spin, bad in the obvious sense that I'm trying to be a spinner and I have no idea how much I'm spinning the ball!

My overall feeling is similar to when I first learned to drive - far too many things to think about in such a short space of time. At least I'm enjoying my bowling, even if some of the faces I pull on the video suggest otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment